Sometimes, you need to delete apps from your iPhone or iPad to free up storage space. And you often follow the common way to delete apps by pressing and holding on the app from the home screen until it wiggles and hit the X icon in the upper left corner. However, there are times when this approach fails to work. The problem is pretty common as it pops up every time Apple releases new software updates. So, don’t worry, this post will show you how to delete apps on your iPhone and iPad.
- Why can’t delete apps on your iPhone and iPad in iOS 12?
Before proceeding with our solutions, you should know the reasons why this problem happens. In the section below, we have some of the common reasons why you can’t delete apps on your iPhone and iPad in iOS 12.
- Apps are infected.
- Apps get stuck in waiting status.
- Deleting apps option is disabled on Restrictions section.
- Low storage space for app updates.
- Apps are disconnected while synching with iTunes.
- The network is disconnected while installing app updates.
Note: You also should know that some default apps can’t be deleted or removed, including Phone, Messages, Settings, Clock, Safari, Camera, App Store, Photos, Wallet, Health and Find iPhone.
The effective ways to fix “Can’t delete apps” problem on iPhone and iPad in iOS 12
2.1. Restart your iPhone or iPad
You tried to delete an app from your home screen several times, but nothing worked. The X icon did not show up in the upper right corner of the app icon. Now, you should restart your iPhone or iPad as follows.
– Step 1: Press the Sleep/Wake button on your iOS device, hold it for a moment until the option Slide to power off appears.
– Step 2: Slide the option Slide to power off from left to right and wait for some seconds while your device is going off.
– Step 3: Just wait about 15 seconds after powering off your iPhone or iPad, then press and hold the Sleep/Wake button again to switch it back on. And then, you try to delete apps again.
2.2. Enable “Deleting apps” option under Restrictions setting
Maybe you are having a problem deleting apps on your iPhone or iPad due to a restriction setting. The setting was accidentally set up, the Deleting apps option was disabled, so you can’t delete the apps you want. Now, follow the steps as below.
– Step 1: Tap on Settings > General > Restrictions.
– Step 2: Provide the password set for restrictions.
– Step 3: Turn on the Deleting apps switch to make the X icon appear.
After completing the above steps, you can delete any apps from your iPhone or iPad without any difficulty.
2.3. Delete apps from the Settings menu
Another simple way to delete apps from your iOS device is deleting apps from the settings menu.
– Step 1: Tap on Settings > General > iPhone Storage. Then, the list of your apps will be shown there.
– Step 2: Select an app that you want to delete and tap on it.
– Step 3: Select Delete app option and confirm it.
Besides, iOS 12 has a new feature called Offload unused apps which will automatically remove unused apps from your iPhone or iPad when you are low on storage, but the documents and data will be saved.
To use this feature, you go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage. Then, tap on Offload unused apps to enable it. Or if you want to enable the feature for some specific apps only, you can tap on the app and select Offload app.
2.4. Delete apps in bulk easily
Deleting apps on the computer is much easier than on how you do this on iPhone or iPad. To do this, you can use the program named iMyFone Umate Pro Win/Mac, which will allow you to access your iPhone or iPad to remove apps in bulk with 3 simple clicks as well as permanently wipe data from your iOS device.
To use iMyFone Umate Pro, follow the steps below.
– Step 1: On your computer, download and install iMyFone Umate Pro, then plug in your iOS device using a cable.
– Step 2: Click on the Apps tab from the home interface of iMyFone Umate Pro. It will start to scan your iPhone or iPad and show all the apps on your iOS device.
– Step 3: Select the apps you want to delete from your iOS device and click on the Remove button. Then, all the selected apps will be removed from your iPhone or iPad immediately.
Got any questions? Let us know in the comments below.